Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 17:01:48 +0800
From:      John Summerfield <summer@OS2.ami.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken PCI-IDE RZ1000 & ata

--------
> Dear All,

> > > As Volker notes; Linux can work round it. So can OS/2. I
> > > don't know the details, but there ARE modes where it works.
> >
> > Nope, there are not, even the manufacturer agrees to that....
> >
> As much as I like ... err ... technical discussion, perhaps it's time that
> either side came up with something solid. "Linux can" and "Manufacturer
> agrees" are not solid, IMHO.
>
> The Linux code states that the workaround is perfect in what source file?

I did not say it's perfect. However, read this:

/usr/src//linux-2.2/drivers/block/rz1000.c

It starts:
/*
 *  linux/drivers/block/rz1000.c Version 0.05  December 8, 1997
 *
 *  Copyright (C) 1995-1998  Linus Torvalds & author (see below)
 */

/*
 *  Principal Author:  mlord@pobox.com (Mark Lord)
 *
 *  See linux/MAINTAINERS for address of current maintainer.
 *
 *  This file provides support for disabling the buggy read-ahead
 *  mode of the RZ1000 IDE chipset, commonly used on Intel motherboards.
 *
 *  Dunno if this fixes both ports, or only the primary port (?).
 */

The comments in OS/2 fixpacks tell how to use it on OS/2.

Use the search program in the web pages at http://os2.ami.com.au/os2/ to
locate directories with names beginning wr_0 (Warp 3) or wr_m0 (Warp 4), read
the readmes. All it will establish is that they work; not what code trickery
is needed.