Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:05:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mike@hyperreal.org
To:        sdorey@hotmail.com (Sebastien Dorey)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with elm

Sebastien Dorey wrote:
> I work with freeBSD 2.2.6. I read email with elm. One of my friend send me
> an email with which he attached a message. THe heck is that I can't get the
> enclose message.
> How can I do to get it? I know that with pine it is easy but what about elm?

I think this an elm question, not a FreeBSD question. It would help if you
mentioned which version of elm you are using.

See what happens when you do 'elm -vv' ... do you see a line that says
Support Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions: MIME ? If not, you need to
recompile elm from the ports collection. It's probably time for an update
anyway. Stick with the default compilation options, and be sure to remove
any elmrc, elm.rc files you may have laying around in /usr/local/lib and
your ~/.elm directories (better that they be recreated).

Newer versions of elm contain partial MIME support built-in, and message
parts with unrecognized MIME types are passed to metamail. Older versions
of elm just pass every MIME message to metamail (if the MIME configuration
option has been compiled in).

If you have metamail installed, you can pipe any message to it by typing
'| metamail' at the message selection screen in elm. If the attachment
you're trying to look at is just an rfc822 message, you can probably just
'| more' or whatever your favorite pager is and look at it that way. If
you don't have metamail installed, it's in the ports collection.

   - Mike