Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 17:11:34 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AF_UNSPEC/SOCK_RAW and such...

Julian Elischer stands accused of saying:
> > What I'm wondering is whether AF_UNSPEC/SOCK_RAW will just hand my
> > driver the packet as written, or whether it'll break something else.
> >
> > Obviously, suck it and see applies here, but some casual advice from those
> > that have gone before would be muchly appreciated 8)
> WARNING WARNING WARNING
> it's been a few years..
>
> what protocol are you wanting to run?

PKT-1.  It's an inhouse protocol we run over '485.  It's light and stupid and
designed with microcontrollers in mind.

> will your driver only be handling your packets?

No; I was hoping to support IP as well, just for genericity's sake.  AFAICT,
this is only an issue when it comes to handing a datagram upwards.

> do you have your own protocol stack?

Yes.  The protocol is very simple, so it's implemented as a C library
at the moment. (We currently talk to these devices under DOS, which is a
total loser outside the workshop).

> you can do this but it really depends on you writing it int eh right way
> for it to work (duh!)

Obviously 8)

> coming up:
> You have to make sure your driver calls the correct protocol with the correct
> arguments

Indeed.  Which protocol to call for AF_UNSPEC?  How does NETISR_RAW and
schednetisr() come in to this?

> going down:
> You have to make sure your protocol knows how to decide which interface
> to send it to..

Is this not what ifa_ifwithaf() (net/if.c) does?  I can't find anything
that calls it of course 8(

I guess I could go AF_INET and invent SOCK_RAWRAW, but that sounds like just
as much work 8(

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[