Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:01:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

> On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 03:21:07PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> > 2) FreeBSD's base installation is *NOT* intended for you to have a
> >    completely/fully functional workstaion.
>
> I don't want a fully functional workstation.  I want a root account that
> is useful.  I am also tired of explaining to Linux users why our /bin/csh
> doesn't have as nice a UI as tcsh.

After you are done, then you can have them explain to you why
their shell scripts that run on Linux's "/bin/sh" don't run
on other UNIX systems.

I think putting in tcsh as csh would be putting FreeBSD in the
same position of having a shell where script authors think they
are using features which are available everywhere, but are
specific to the "enhanced" shell, and will therefore only run
on systems where "/bin/csh" is replaced with tcsh.

Further, there is the PicoBSD issue.

I think doing this would be as heinous a crime as replacing
"/bin/ls" with colorls.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---