Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 20:51:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Administrator <root@hobart.tased.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IP over parrallel port

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Administrator wrote:

> I am wondering if there is aguide anywhere about how to run IP between to
> parallel ports using a laplink cable. I read in the installation guide
> that you can install FreeBSD this way if you have a nother FreeBSD box
> handy but it makes no reference to what has to be done on the existing
> box to enable such a setup.

This will be a shot in the dark.

1)  You need a laplink cable, obviously :-)
2)  If the pc has a parallel port that FreeBSD detects you'll see
something like

lp0:  TCP/IP capable interface

during the boot probe.

3)  For media, select 'ftp' (????) and select 'lp0' as the network
device.  You'll have to have the install info set up in an ftp server (or
other network access) on the server machine.

4)  Should act like a net install, will want ip address and notwhat.
That is a total guess :-)

Sorry for the assumptions but I think this is fairly accurate.
Instructions may be in the Handbook or in sysinstall's help system.