Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:15:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        Vijay Ramasubramanian <ramasubr@ews.uiuc.edu>, Mike Grommet <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation probs w/3.0-BETA

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:

> At 03:45 PM 10/13/98 -0500, Vijay Ramasubramanian wrote:
> >That was one of my suspicions due to the circumstances.  Do you (or anyone
> >on the list) happen to know a good memory testing program to see if I can
> >confirm this?  I don't have spare RAM at my disposal that I can swap in to
> >see if it fixes things.
>
> Don't know any good testers, but swapping memory around can help you locate
> the bad SIMM/DIMM, which is probably faster than locating a test program
> and running it (if it works).  Done it a few times myself.

  Or use parity SIMM/DIMM and then there is zero guess work.  Rather than
a mysterious non-reproducable crash, you will get a parity failed panic.
Everyone should use parity memory all the time.

> If you only have one DIMM, like I do in one system, it's worth lowering the
> timings and see if that helps.  Mine are all max'd, but then quality memory
> should do that. 8-)
>
> Anyone know how much memory an install can use up?

  Just like any other FreeBSD app:  as much as is available.  Since the
install does a lot of i/o most of memory will probably put to work as a
disk cache.

> Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
> jeff@mountin.net

Tom