Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:17:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: > 4GB with NFS?

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Jan 25), Matthew Jacob said:
> > On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > > Make sure you're using NFSv3 mounts (should be the default, but if not,
> > > add "nfsv3" to the options column in fstab).  I cross-mount FreeBSD,
> > > Tru64, and Solaris boxes via NFS and can access large files on all
> > > combinations of client and server.
> >
> > Huh. Interesting. The default showed up as a nfsv3 mount:
> >
> >  1/25  2:12 mountd/v3: granted 192.67.166.79 to /bob ro=0 uid0=60001
> >
> > The solaris mount showed up as:
> >
> >  1/25  2:06 mountd/v3: granted 192.67.166.155 to /bob ro=0 uid0=60001
> >  1/25  2:06 nfs/tcp accepted 192.67.166.155,1023
> >
> > I'll try an explicit v3 mount/tcp and see if it's better.
>
> I use UDP mounts as it's easier to debug traces.
>
> The next step is to start looking as packet dumps...  When you say that
> the FreeBSD clients "stop writing", what error do they get?

None. As in EOF.

>  Also, what
> version of FreeBSD are you using?

4.2 in this case. 1.5.1 for NetBSD.

Okay- I think from what you've said and what Thor said for NetBSD is that this
is "supposed to work!" (which accords with what *I* thought too). I'll do some
more debugging as I can (I'm in a project deadline for 3 projects this week).

But I won't let it go!  I was hoping to replace  my Solaris box with either
FreeBSD or NetBSD as my main home directory server. FreeBSD 4.2 panics part
way through the first LADDIS runs I was using to test it with and I can't get
NetBSD to start as a LADDIS client (I hadn't got the auth sorted out yet), so
I've been trying to scrutinize a lot of things very closely in this area.

-matt