Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 12:42:34 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        ajohn@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us (Anil John)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Compiling kernel for ATAPI CD-ROM error - fatal signal 11- what is it?

Anil John writes:

> Greg Lehey[SMTP:grog@lemis.de] wrote:
>> Well, I'm not the most experienced in this area, so maybe somebody
>> else will come up with better ideas, but normally a SIGSEGV (signal
>> 11) indicates memory problems.  This could be main memory, or it could
>> be cache.  Before you go out and buy a new motherboard and memory,
>> check the BIOS setup menus.  Probably the best bet is to disable
>> cache, which will make the machine horribly slow, but if you can then
>> build your kernel, you'll know where the problem lies.  If your BIOS
>> has memory refresh options, try slowing them down a bit.
>>
> It Worked!!!!.  I disabled my cache and as you mentioned the machine was as
> slooow.. But I let it compile overnight and it went thru... Now my machine
> detects the CD Rom when I boot up....

OK, you're not done yet.  So it's pretty certain that you have a cache
problem.  Now you need to find out whether it's a hardware problem or
incorrect configuration.  Many BIOSes have cache burst configuration
options (cache wait states, or burst configurations like 3-2-2-2 or
2-1-1-1 or some such).  The cache is 128 bits wide, but the memory bus
is only 32 bits wide, so it needs 4 cycles to transfer a cache line.
The 3-2-2-2 means that the first transfer takes 3 bus cycles, and the
following ones only 2.  I'd guess that you have your cache set up for
too few cycles.

This is very difficult to write about without seeing the configuration
menus, but maybe you can go into the BIOS configuration and take a
look.  It'll be in a menu called "Advanced Setup Options" or "Advanced
Chipset Options" or some such.

>> being able to access it.  That won't work, of course.  Is there some
>> pressing reason why you can't leave your ATAPI drive as the slave of
>> the master controller?
>>
> Not really. Just thought that I would leave that slot open if I wanted to
> add a hard disk at a later point.  But for right now, I have the CD-ROM
> hanging off it.

OK, if you get a new disk, you can always put that on the slave
controller.

Greg