Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:33:19 +1030
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        Thomas Runge <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 10:41:56AM +0100, Thomas Runge wrote:

 > This all sounds like a decision, whether we want to be a desktop
 > or a server-only system.

I don't agree at all -- I think that's another divsion which is
orthogonal to the current discussion.  Why can't we be a server OS
with a decent installation tool?

 > For mainly server-oriented, the "install source to update" or
 > console-based setups are quite enough, because the system will
 > most probably administraded by people, that know, what they are
 > doing.

But is it reasonable to say, "You can't play at all if you don't
fit that description"?

(Especially since the NT server camp seems to think you can administer
a system with zero knowledge of anything;  The requirement that they
suddenly need to become familiar with how to deal with large archives of
source code isn't going to help us get a foot in those doors).

    - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton@internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton@atdot.dotat.org  (H)