Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 18:54:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.8 -> 4.0 Upgrade via sysinstall

I had a 2.2.8 system that I wanted to upgrade to 4.0-RELEASE. Instead of
doing a source upgrade(I had hosed gcc somehow on it, and couldn't fix it),
I did an upgrade by building the install disks and using sysinstall.

I chose "Upgrade", and as soon as I hit yes at the dialog box asking me if I
was sure I wanted to do this, given all the scary stuff about upgrading this
way, I'd get a "lockmgr: locking against myself" panic, followed by a hard
hang.

So, I decided that I'd just backup all the stuff I cared about into a
directory (/old) and do a normal install. This mostly worked, except that
sysinstall wouldn't overwrite files that have the "schg" flag set on them,
which caused /kernel and other files not to be overwritten. Is this
intentional? I'd think that if you were doing a fresh install, all bets are
off as to what's on the drive, you are intentionally overwriting things. (I
realize most people do a newfs during sysinstall, but I don't think that it
should be required)

Also, while this isn't a big deal, I've got two de ethernet cards in this
system. What was detected as de0 in 2.2.8 is now de1, and vice versa. It was
really confusing trying to figure out what was wrong.

de0: <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> port 0x1000-0x107f mem 0xf4000000-0xf400007f irq 11 at device
 14.0 on pci0
de0: 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
de0: address 00:40:05:43:a3:a3
de0: supplying EUI64: 00:40:05:ff:fe:43:a3:a3
de0: driver is using old-style compatability shims
de1: <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> port 0x1080-0x10ff mem 0xf4000400-0xf400047f irq 10 at device
 15.0 on pci0
de1: 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
de1: address 00:40:05:42:dd:26
de1: driver is using old-style compatability shims

Other than that, everything went smoothly. Several customers had a.out
binaries that I had to move some libraries from /usr/local/lib into
/usr/local/lib/aout, but that was easy enough.

Kevin