Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:56:44 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
Cc:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How does a port's Makefile check for PERL_THREADED in /etc/make.conf?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Pete Fritchman wrote:

> ++ 28/08/01 10:17 +0200 - Matthias Andree:
> | What I'm saying is, don't build the Exim port on systems that use
> | PERL_THREADED.
> |
> | What would be the canonical way for /usr/ports/mail/exim/Makefile to
> | check if PERL_THREADED is enabled and commit suicide if it is?
>
> You (well, the exim maintainer) would probably want to add something like:

The exim port maintainer referred me to this mailing list because he's
short of time at the moment, so I'm doing a patch that he'll look over
and commit if it looks good. :-)

> .if defined(PERL_THREADED)
> BROKEN=	"exim does not work with a threaded perl"
> .endif

> in the Makefile.  If you know why it doesn't work, or if the authors are
> working on a fix, that would be useful information to include in the
> BROKEN line too.

I don't know specifics, Sheldon Hearn (Exim maintainer) said it was
threaded perl, I confirmed that.

> Hope this helps,

Yes, it did. Now since I know what to look for, I dug around the
/usr/src tree and came up with:

# Exim will segfault with threaded perl, so refuse to build.
.if defined(PERL_THREADED) && ${PERL_THREADED} == "true"
BROKEN=                "exim does not work with PERL_THREADED=true"
.endif

added to the port's Makefile to deal with the PERL_THREADED=false case
without complaining.

Your help has been appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

--