Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:07:57 +1100 (EST)
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting -current with new loader

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> John Saunders wrote:
> > I have had no success in booting -current with the new loader. I can boot
> > the kernel directly by entering 1:wd(2,a)/kernel at the boot prompt.
> > However if I enter either 1:wd(1,a)/boot/loader (the default) or
> > 1:wd(2,a)/boot/loader I get the loader started but the kernel won't boot.
> > The the second case commands like source and ls don't work unless I set
> > currdev=disk2s1a: and then it works. I have tried setting rootdev to lots
> > of things but the kernel _always_ tried to mount wd1s1a as the root
> > filesystem. It seems to ignore the rootdev flag. The kernel has been built
> > with "config kernel root on wd2" but even this is ignored.
>
> You failed to mention your disk configuration...

Opps, 2 drives, both as IDE master, one on primary and one on secondary.
Also a CDROM as secondary slave. Also to make matters worse 2 SCSI drives.
The complete mapping is...
	BIOS number	FreeBSD name
	0x80		wd0
	0x81		wd2
	0x82		da0
	0x83		da1
For the moment I am not trying to do anything with the SCSI drives,
although da1 has a FreeBSD slice. Both wd0 and da0 re FAT32 Winblows.

New information...

I have been able to get the kernel into single user mode, where mount /
barfs about not being able to mount /dev/wd2s1a on / because the
filesystem is different. However an ls shows it _did_ get the right one,
it just thinks it's wrong. Also curiously the normal boot-time message
"changing root device to wd2s1a" doesn't appear. I can get this far using
2 methods...

Booting using 1:wd(1,a)/boot/loader
Then at the loader type
	load kernel
	set currdev=disk3s1a:
	boot
With this both currdev and loaddev are initially set to disk2s1a:

Or boot using 1:wd(2,a)/boot/loader
Then at the loader type
	set currdev=disk2s1a:
	load kernel
	set currdev=disk3s1a:
	boot
With this both currdev and loaddev are initially set to disk3s1a: The
loader is also unable to access files (ls, source, help, load, etc) until
I set currdev to disk2s1a:

It seems that I need currdev=disk2s1a: so that the loader can load files,
and I need currdev=disk3s1a: so that the kernel will mount root. Two
conflicting requirements.

I'm off now to play now with rootdev and boot_askname.

Cheers.
        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 041-822-3814      (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NHJ NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS - Supplying a professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |