Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 01:01:09 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How now, BSD crow?

--uh9ZiVrAOUUm9fzH

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 08:12:47AM +0200, Roelof Osinga wrote:

> Especially LINT. LINT is nice if you want to look something up, but it is
> not a hands-on manual that leads one through all the steps needing to be
> taken to implement some such thingamathing or other.

Since NETSMB support is not in GENERIC, you must have added it to your
kernel yourself at some point.  When you modify your kernel
configuration you need to read the documentation to make sure you're
adding all necessary components (otherwise you'll get a broken kernel
config, like you did).  The documentation is in LINT.

> While I'm typing this, it just occurred to me. Some years ago the world g=
ot
> rocked once again. There was something about making the world versus=20
> explicitly
> building it and installing it. Later it all got changed again. Every one =
of
> those changes was deemed important. Every one of those changes changed=20
> things.
>=20
> People don't like changes. Monkeys don't either. Dolphins I don't know. My
> pitch is way off.

You're not exactly being specific here, but the full upgrade/rebuild
procedure is spelled out in the handbook if you're confused about how
to do it.

Kris
--uh9ZiVrAOUUm9fzH

--uh9ZiVrAOUUm9fzH--