Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:13:50 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Bryan Bunch" <bryanb@walls-media.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports Question

--==_Exmh_1089618910P

If memory serves me right, "Bryan Bunch" wrote:
> After you have installed a port and notice that there is a updated version
> in ports-current, what is the best way to upgrade? Is there any argument
> that you can pass to make (make upgrade??). Or do you have to do a pkg_del
> and then install the new port? I am asking b/c I noticed that wen you
> install the new port there are usually two entries in the /var/db/pkg
> directory.

In general, you'll want to pkg_delete the old version, then install the new
port.  Here are a couple of caveats:

1.  In some cases, it's fairly acceptable to have multiple versions of a port
installed.  One example is Tcl/Tk.  Unfortunately there isn't a hard-and-fast
rule for this.

2.  pkg_delete might not want to let you delete a package if something is
depending on it.  You may need to use "pkg_delete -f" (RTFM) to force deletion
of the files in spite of this fact.

I've certainly done upgrades by simply installing the new version, but then I
managed to get both pkg_delete (and myself) really confused when it came time
to remove files from either/both versions.

> Do you just manually remove the old entry, and will the newer
> version overwrite any config files that the old version was using?

In all cases I've seen, newer versions of ports leave the old configuration
files alone.

> Do you remove the old work directory in the ports tree, then do a make
> install?

I would do a make clean in the old ports directory, then make install.  If you
have enough disk space, consider making the package of a port before doing the
pkg_delete.  That way, if you get into trouble installing the new version, you
can quickly do a pkg_add of the old version and get back somewhere close to
the state you were in.  (Usually when building a port, I'll do something like
"make; make install; make package; make clean".)

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1089618910P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNlpOnajOOi0j7CY9AQHGqwP/aa/v+kXdPmG7giEQU/PEIF0dg3qdXwRm
L7lpKF1xN/54Ug3d4ft8ZI98RTdUVqTvY+JOaFBt5zvFBtt8oEF+Fw4+KMhynjsf
cOEkK0OZzz+0BTkAPp56Laz9eJUTNOaszmLB7nG6jcJv1OWOgzJhptcr2tReHbey
FGaUEcYeFGg=
=fwk/
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1089618910P--