Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 01:45:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        richardl@voyager.ufp.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD gateway machine is always dialing out!!!

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>Could anyone help me with a problem.  I have a FreeBSD gateway with a
>modem and iijppp connecting to my ISP.  I have a static IP from my ISP
>and I ifconfig the tun device with the static IP at boot time and add
>the route as default.  No problem there.  I run ppp -auto -alias and
>everything works great.

>I also have an internal network with a MAC and a notebook running
>FreeBSD. They both run fine but no matter what I try ( so far
>/etc/hosts and DNS from Pedantic PPP primer ) if I ftp, rlogin or
>telnet to the gateway from the notebook or launch an FTP server on the
>MAC the gateway dials out.  What is the gateway looking for?  How can
>I stop it from looking for whatever it is looking for or give it what
>it is looking for?

>Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me.  I have a
>hard time going through all the questions so private email would be
>appreciated.

I would guess that the machine is trying to do reverse DNS on the
other machine's IP (and I think this is what you're gessing is
happening, too).

Try using a DNS server and adding these other machines's IP addresses
(reverses, the numeric in-arpa ones) to your name server database.

As far as the ftp server on the Mac, I'm not sure.  Is the Mac's name
server trying to get a name (e.g. does the ftp server take less time
to start if the modem is already connected)?

Also, do you have sendmail on your gateway?  this will also do many
name lookups when not connected.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/