Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:45:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: broken pipe

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:

> Although I am quite dissatisfied with M$ products, particularly Windows,
> they do have several good ideas about user-friendliness. One of the rules
> they suggest to (or demand of) developers is that if an install fails, it
> should remove all traces of the partial install.

Heh. Nice theory, but I've not often seen it practiced.

> I think that is a good idea. It would have been nice if FreeBSD had just
> said: "Well, I could not install it all, would you like me to delete the
> few docs I did install?"

It'd be nice, but I'm going to assume you were root when you did the
install. Root can do whatever root wants; it's a feature, not a bug. If
you tell FreeBSD, as root, to cram 50MB onto 10MB of disk space, it'll try
to do so. With ultimate power comes ultimate responsibility ;) It's also
one of the reasons everyone recommends keeping up-to-date backups.

> Yes, I found the hard way... Of course, if I did not reboot, I could not
> have gone back to Windows and posted my question.

Very true. Live and learn.

Cheers,
Mick (who's had to run for the backups once or thrice)

The Reverend Jasper P. O'Malley          dotdot:jooji@webnology.com
    Systems Administrator                  ringring:asktheadmiral
	Webnology, LLC               woowoo:http://www.webnology.com/~jooji