Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 21:08:47 -0800
From:      Christopher Elkins <christopherelkins@yahoo.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Modest Proposal for Java(tm) dependency selection among ports

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 12:11:57PM +0100, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> 1] Create simple bsd.java.mk according to the final proposal.
> 2] Modify all current ports to use the new system
> 3] Get more applications in the tree
> 4] Modify portlint to produce warnings in case of fixed references to JDKs
> 5] Find a way to change a JDK at runtime (*after* install)
>
> Something like this. Phase 1 is at the moment the most important, that's for
> sure :-)

Has there been any movement on this? As a full-time Java developer who uses
FreeBSD as my primary OS, I'm continually frustrated by the schizophrenic
nature of many Java ports. (To wit, I've spent much of this evening tracking
down issues in lang/jython and its use of java/javavmwrapper, which seems to
have a bug w.r.t passing the -cp option - PRs forthcoming.)

I'm no ports guru, but I am willing to help migrate existing ports to use the
new system. Moreover, I have some free time coming up. :-)

So, what's the status on implementing the new system?

--
Christopher Elkins