Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:50:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/25866 more than 256 ptys, up to 1302 ptys.

The following reply was made to PR kern/25866; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, clefevre@poboxes.com
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 18:45:57 +0100

 Please check out the ptynumber.patch at http://phk.freebsd.dk/patch

 20010322        ptynumber.patch

 	This is a proof-of-concept patch to change the naming of
 	ptys from the letter encoding to a simple ttyp%u/ptyp%u
 	like scheme.

 	The chosen naming with the 'p' in it allows for coexistence
 	of kernels and libutils which don't match up to the first
 	10 ptys.

 	I'm sure a number of ports may break as result of this
 	because they don't use libutil to get ptys.  Please use
 	this patch to fix those ports to use libutil::openpty()
 	sooner rather than latter.

 	I am not partial to any particular naming, there are good
 	arguments for "/dev/pty/[tp]ty%d" or similar, but I cannot
 	foresee the amount of breakage that might result in.

 	There is no planned commit of this patch yet, it is provided
 	for research/impactanalysis/testing only at this time.

 	If anybody wants to adopt this patch, they are more than
 	welcome and should contact me by email.

 Poul-Henning