Date:      Sun, 07 Nov 1999 13:38:36 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "D. Rock" <rock@dead-end.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS 1868 driver, again

"D. Rock" wrote:

> > > Err, the ESS1868 is a PNP device.  You should only have "device pcm0" and
> > > nothing more.  You might also try "options PNPBIOS".  You are running
> > > -current, right?
> > What does "options PNPBIOS" do. I didn't find it in LINT?
> >
> > This one doesn't seem to be a PNP device. I set all the resources manually
    via BIOS.
> > If it was a PNP device, it shouldn't be detected any longer by the old voxw
    are
> > driver.
> >
> > # pnpinfo
> > Checking for Plug-n-Play devices...
> > No Plug-n-Play devices were found
> Uups, forget my previous post.
>
> I added "options PNPBIOS" to my configuration and also only a line "device pc
    m0",
> but the problem remains:
>
> Probe message:
> Nov  7 03:34:45  /kernel.new: pcm0: <ESS1869> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x388-0x38b
    ,0x330-0x331 irq 5 drq 1,5 on isa0

> And then later, if I try to play something:
> Nov  7 03:34:45  /kernel.new: sb_dspwr(0xd0) timed out.
> Nov  7 03:34:45  /kernel.new: sb_dspwr(0xc0) timed out.
>
> Daniel

PNPBIOS turns on the interface between the computer and the motherboard
bios so that it can obtain all the PNP information for all the motherboard
devices.  This means we can do PNP-style configuration for motherboard
resources (eg: serial, parallel, floppy drive, keyboard, etc etc)

As to why the 1869 isn't working for you, that's anybody's guess.  You
might try posting the 'dmesg' output (not from syslog) and your complete
config file, as well as any other pertinant information you can think of.

Cheers,
-Peter