Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 10:57:02 -0700
From:      Scott MacFiggen <smurf@csua.berkeley.edu>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Matthew Stein <matt@bdd.net>, Scott MacFiggen <smurf@csua.berkeley.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NExGen chip Nx586-100

>At 4:44 PM -0500 6/11/96, Matthew Stein wrote:
>>On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Scott MacFiggen wrote:
>>
>>> I just got a hold of a Nexgen chip + PCI motherboard.
>>> the system is running with a 386.
>>
>>That's correct.  The NexGen nx586 IS a 386 compatible chip, with an FPU,
>>and performance comparible to a Pentium.  We run a couple of them that
>>regularly outpace similar pentiums.  If you compile your kernel for a 386,
>>you'll have no problems.
>
>>From the part number I don't think Scott got an Nx586 with FPU. Make sure
>you build your kernel with FPU emulator included.
>
>Box-stock FreeBSD-2.1R runs perfectly on my non-FPU PCI-90 NexGen, "make
>world" in under 5-1/2 hours. Scott may have other problems.

I did get the FPU version so that is not a problem.
The problem is that I had a 486-50 so my
kernel is currently configured for a 486 hence it
won't boot on a 386 it seems. Moslty I was asking
if FreeBSD had a patch to recognize the chip as a Nexgen
chip instead of a 386. But since the NExgen chip doesn't
support Pentuim microcode, it doesn't seem to matter.
Although I d know Linux has a patch to let it take advantage of
nexgens cache on steriods, does FreeBSD have something similar?
I guess it is time to download boot floppies so
I can fix my kernel...

	-Scott