Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:44:20 -0500
From:      "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba "system error 5" even with nt acl support = no

OK, I had Samba working, upgraded to FreeBSD 6 (from 5.4) and mgetty
stopped working, so I had to reinstall FreeBSD 5.4 again.

Now I can't get Samba (smbd Version 2.2.12, via pkg_add) working and I
can't figure out what I did differently this time.

All my hosts are 192.168.x.x

My smb.conf is below.

I am trying to connect to the FreeBSD machine (hostname "compaq") from
a WinXP SP2 machine.  I have used 'smbpasswd' to add my WinXP
username.

When I try to access the machine via Windows Explorer, I get "The
account is not authoritzed to log in from this station"

When I use 'net view \\compaq' I get

"System error 5 has occurred

Access is denied
"

Googling around I found that I should add this
"   nt acl support =3D no"

which I did.  Didn't help.  Here is my smb.conf

[global]
   workgroup =3D PRESBY
   nt acl support =3D no
   server string =3D Samba Server
   hosts allow =3D 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
   load printers =3D yes
   log file =3D /var/log/log.%m
   max log size =3D 50
   security =3D user
   socket options =3D TCP_NODELAY
   dns proxy =3D no

[homes]
   comment =3D Home Directories
   browseable =3D no
   writeable =3D yes

[printers]
   comment =3D All Printers
   path =3D /var/spool/samba
   browseable =3D no
   guest ok =3D no
   writeable =3D no
   printable =3D yes

Other than that, please don't assume anything.  I'm no expert on samba.

I can FTP to the machine, but I would prefer Samba.

Thanks for any help!
TjL