Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:19:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        satanix@earthlink.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hi! *PLEASE READ*

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998 satanix@earthlink.net wrote:

> Hi there, and thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I have a
> major problem installing FreeBSD, and no one has been able to help me,
> I've asked hundreds of people and I either get a *shrug* or an "i have no
> clue". My problem is, when in the partition program, after making my
> FreeBSD slices, it names the device X,  not wda5. Therefore, later in the
> install process it fails to create the file system because there is no
> such thing as /dev/X. I have no idea why it is doing this, and you are my
> last resort. Any help would be tremendously appreciated.
>
>                 Thank You,
>                        Zach

I have some questions for you. Please answer them and repost your
question to the list. I think people are "shrugging" becasue what you
say makes completely no sense. I am betting that there is a certain
piece of information that is needed to even begin to answer this
question.

OBTW, You never asked a question. :)

Which partition program? Are you using a bootdisk? Which version are you
trying to install?

There is no such thing as wda5. Did you come up with wda5 or did
FreeBSD?

What are the specific error messages that you recieved? What type of
hard drive(s) do you have? How are these drive(s) to be divided up
between windows and BSD?

Are you trying to keep windows around?

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html