Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 13:45:56 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        gwh@spiders.com
Cc:        brantk@gatekeeper.atlas.com, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Devices compatible with tw(4) (X-10)

    Gene> 	I was just looking for remote power cycling devices
    Gene> (via phone, or whatever else) to manage a machine room while
    Gene> there are no staff around....and this message popped up.

    Gene> Has anyone used the X-10 stuff for this type of application?

I don't know of anyone personally, but it's certainly possible with
X10.

In fact, there are telephone controllers for X10.  You call up, enter
a passcode, and then enter the X10 commands you want.  It transmits
them.  I think JDS's Time Commander includes a phone-control option
for X10, and there have got to be other solutions out there.  I'd
check Home Automation Systems' catalog ... not necessarily to buy from
them (some prices good, yes, some prices ... not so good), but to get
an idea of what's out there:

	     http://www.techmall.com/smarthome/index.html

If you want to involve FreeBSD with it, then one of the voicemail
modems could work too.  Get the kind that can echo back what
touch-tones are pressed.  When you get the correct code, have your
FreeBSD system send X10 commands.

If you're into recognizing touch-tones by hand, you can get a device
called the VM100 from Reveal for about $49.95 (Internet Shopping
Network carries 'em: http://www.isn.com).  It's a device that plugs
into your phone, into a serial port, and into the line in/line out
jacks of your soundcard.  When it indicates a ring, go off hook, and
have the soundcard listen ... when you recognize the right DTMF tones,
do whatever you want!

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov