Date:      Thu, 05 Dec 1996 09:43:13 -0800
From:      Dan Yergeau <yergeau@gloworm.Stanford.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hardwiring second-level boot to load 1:sd(0,a)/kernel by default

Is there any way to hardwire the second-level boot loader to default

Or, is it necessary to change the SCSI ID of the boot drive and/or
wire the target in the kernel config and modify/etc/fstab and verify
that the appropriate slices for sd1 are in /dev?

I've got one of those systems with an IDE drive and a SCSI drive.
The IDE drive was added after FreeBSD was installed on the SCSI
drive (if that matters).  As documented, BIOS maps the the IDE to
0x80 and the SCSI to 0x81, but the second-level boot loader passes
sd(1,a) (the "1" comes from the BIOS number) into the kernel instead
of the correct SCSI device/partition.  The system panics and reboots
because it can't mount root.  You can boot it with user interaction
(i.e. by typing in the magical "1:sd(0,a)/kernel" at the "boot: "
prompt), but I'd prefer not to have to do that.

I'm running 2.2-ALPHA if that matters.

Thanks in advance,

Dan