Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:32:43 -0500
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@torrentnet.com>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel config utility

> So, would having a kernel config utility help us get better
> reviews?  I was thinking about something like an explorer-type
> thing that was divided into two panes.  On the left would be
> LINT.  Here, we would have icons representing the various
> devices.  For example, we could ahve an icon representing an
> ethernet card, another icon representing a serial port, etc.  On
> the right hand side we would have the custom kernel config file.
> You could just drag the icons over to the right hand side to add
> devices to your kernel config.  And, of course, you could always
> just delete the icons you don't need.

You have just described some file system operations!

left pane:	ls LINT
right pane:	ls KERNEL
drag an icon:	cp LINT/device/ethernet KERNEL/device

> By clicking on the icons, a properties pane would show the
> properties for this device.  Of course, there should be some way
> to represent options, such as DEVFS or SOFTUPDATES.

property pane:	vi KERNEL/ethernet
		echo 2048 > KERNEL/options/NMBCLUSTERS

> Of course, I like using vi better, but I've heard some people
> complaining about "how hard it is to configure a FreeBSD
> kernel."

Most of us like the convenience of editing one file but I
think what these `some people' are asking for is explicit
structure.  In a config represented by a plain file the
structure is implicit and the flat structure makes it hard to
group related things so you have to read comments (if any and
hopefully uptodate) to understand what option applies to what
object.  A directory would provide that structure (and allow
for extensions that you wouldn't even try with a flat file).