Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:19:09 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@earthlink.net>
To:        "Larry Skarpness Jr." <larry@chainsoft.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ARP issues with 2 or more multi-homed interfaces on same physical LAN

You're better off just running a null hub cable between the cable modem and
the first interface on your dual homed system, and keep the others, which are
your internal network, on your hub. Keeps it cleaner since your gateway system
still needs to do NAT with the other machines (so the packets go on the hub
at least twice instead of just the once). I have a similar setup and it
works like
a charm, using FreeBSD 4.1 circa Mon Jul 17 20:04:10 MST 2000. Your setup
can actually leave fairly big holes to someone who knows how to use them.
Plus, a null hub isn't hard to do (you should have gotten one from them
anyway).

Moral of this story, separate your networks with more than just TCP/IP. You'll
get better performance out of it anyway.

Good luck!