Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 03:33:06 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
Cc:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br, batie@aahz.jf.intel.com, tom@sdf.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login classes

#define quoting(David Nugent)
// >
// >  Perhaps we need a change in this class.  If possible, in time to 2.2.5.
//
// It sounds like limits(1) might be needed in some cases. That's why
// it exists. I really don't think this is an issue that needs to be
// fiddled with in the default installation. If "daemon" resources
// don't suit a particular installation, then obviously they need to
// change it or use an alternative class with better tuned resources
// for a particular case, but there's no formula that will suit everyone
// in all cases.

Sure, but at least the limits in the daemon class could be soft and not
hard.  I have a squid startup script that takes care for me of the
resource limits, but it can do nothing about hard limits.  Anyway,
why hard limit any root program ?

The defaults should be used to limit unexpected things, not to restrict
unaware users.  Big daemons like squid may take care of themselves, if
left to their own control.  And last, but not least, the default has
already been fiddled, since the limits were bigger before login classes.

I know (after some hacking) that I must edit /etc/login.conf to allow
squid in rc.local, but new users will probably not know, and will think
it's a FreeBSD problem.  "You said FreeBSD was better than Linux, but
Linux could ran my cache server and FreeBSD can't"

And it's not easy to understand why the program runs when you start
it manually and does not run when started in rc.local.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br