Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:40:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dumb terminal vendor

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Derrick Baumer wrote:

> I have this sinking feeling that this is a dumb question (no pun
> intended, honest), but can anyone recommend a dumb terminal to connect
> to my 3.4-STABLE box, as well as a vendor to supply said terminal?  I
> have one computer in my apartment (really no room for two), and my
> wife and I spend most of our time waiting for the other to finish what
> they're doing so we can get our time on the computer.

Just about any ASCII terminal will do.  I like DEC vt{234}20 with an LK201
keyboard, but have used all sorts of terminals with FreeBSD.  Various VTs,
HP 700/94s, AT&T 630 and 730s (a pretty nifty terminal, with windowing and a
mouse, but not really common), Wyse clones and who knows what else.  I
wouldn't buy one new;  they are shockingly expensive.  See if you can't get
someone to give you one;  there are lots sitting around in closets.  If you
do buy one secondhand, pay attention to the keyboard.  They tend to use
proprietary keyboards, which can cost more than you paid to replace.  Some
also have funky keyboard mappings, but you can either get used to them, or
modify the keyboard map.

David