Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:15:50 +0300
From:      Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i810 hangs without panic

Hello, John Von Essen!

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 02:55:00PM -0400, you wrote:

> I have had 810 chipset boards mysteriously panic every month or so. It might
> be hardware related, I know Intel fixed some problems with 810 chipset and
> releases a whole new line of 815 chipset boards with identical specs.
BTW, I've just found info about i810 on Intel site, it is about Linux
and video, but it could make a sense:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/Release_Notes_1.htm

<cut>
#  Specify an amount of RAM. For the kernel to know how much RAM you
#  have available for use you will need to supply a boot parameter to
#  LILO, either at the boot prompt or in the configuration file. At the
#  LILO prompt, enter the name of the kernel you want (Usually 'linux'
#  unless you changed it) followed by mem=##M. The ## is the amount of
#  memory you have in megabytes. REMEMBER to subtract 1 MB for the part
#  taken by the graphics chip; otherwise your kernel will die during
#  boot-up. If it still dies, subtract another 1MB; this could be taken
#  by vendor specific BIOS needs. If your distribution has a graphical
#  boot screen, boot parameters may not be possible. You may still be
#  able to edit the lilo.conf as is detailed below.
LILO:  linux mem=63M
</cut>

But I've already said that "Init video first" BIOS setting it set to
PCI, but cannot tell if onboard video is disabled completely or not
by this setting.

--
NEVE-RIPE