Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 09:35:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Roy McCrory <mccrory@ug1.plk.af.mil>
To:        bynum@NU.cs.fsu.edu
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config boca modem problem

> > Also, most people with any sense wouldn't touch an internal modem with a
> > 40-foot pole, so none of us working on it have one to test with...
>
> Basically, what are the reasons why people wouldn't touch an internal modem?
> I have an internal USR 14.4 Sportster (working pretty well), and am thinking
> of getting a new internal USR 28.8 Sportster. But if there is something wrong
> with them, or you can justify the $30 extra then I would reconsider ...
>

> Thanks,
> Mark Bynum
>
> bynum@cs.fsu.edu

Thanks Mike! I'll give it a try.
Mark, Mike can do a better explaination, but I'll try.  The basic
objection to internal modems is that the manufacturer can buy cheap
chips and implement the UART+modem functions in a non-standard way,
emulating 16550 uart performance in a way that dos/windows can use, but
real os's can't use/configure/recognize.
My problem was that my cheap computer had 16450's in it.  These probably
won't support V34 transfer rates with an external modem. I guess I
should have spent the extra money for the external modem and more for
another internal 16550 based comm3/4 card!
Thanks again!
Roy mccrory@plk.af.mil