Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:52:27 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Found BAD BUG: squashed

Terry Lambert wrote:

> I'm tempted to suggest that the INVARIANTS code wants to seperately
> reference count objects, after allocating them larger than they
> are, and passing a pointer into itself that can be backed out
> (like the old malloc hack to do the same thing), to keep it from
> spamming reference counts.  But that's a lot more work.

I suggest that we define a generic refcount type and implement
basic kernel support for incrementing and decrementing it.

These can be hand optimised and also be atomic
there are some suggestions for this already...
allowing the type to be a non-simple type
gives the posibility of such debugging support being included.

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org