Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:58:24 +0000 (BST)
From:      Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
To:        Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 802.1Q VLANs

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Mike Nowlin wrote:

> What's the current status of 802.1Q VLAN support in -STABLE?  I'm rapidly
> heading towards an impass -- FreeBSD, or Cisco?  :)  I saw a few messages
> about this about 4-6 weeks ago, and they kind of died after that -- last
> mod date of /usr/src/sys/net/*vlan* is Dec. 27 on my test box.....
>
> If the decision is that FBSD is NOT "really ready" to support the 802.1Q
> stuff now, I'll buy the $3K Cisco router (and associated cards & "Plus"
> software packages), then start working on the support so I don't have to
> buy the 2nd & 3rd routers in about three months... :)  I could do the
> routing with multiple NICs in the FBSD box, but with the way I have to
> break apart this network, I'm going to run out of PCI slots pretty
> quickly....

We are using the vlan patches from:

http://www.euitt.upm.es/~pjlobo/fbsdvlan.html

quite happily - they only work with fxp's tho, and don't do proper interface
statistics reporting...

--
Internet Vision          Internet Consultancy           Tel: 0171 589 4500
60 Albert Court            & Web development            Fax: 0171 589 4522