Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 03:30:44 -0800
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux For Managers...

Johnson David wrote:

>A coworker and I are planning on replacing about 20 LynxOS lab workstations
>with FreeBSD. We originally chose LynxOS because that's what our embedded
>products use. But its getting too expensive to support it on workstation, and
>they're difficult to maintain.
>
>I stepped up to the plate and set up a prototype workstation with FreeBSD,
>with an identical look-and-feel to the other workstations (mwm, development
>scripts, etc), and created a step-by-step guide to installation and
>configuration.
>
>The sole purpose of these workstations is to connect to our embedded products
>via cu.
>
>We are all set to go to roll out FreeBSD to the other lab workstations. But
>some Linux advocate in the company is starting to raise a stink (even though
>he is unwilling to help in the conversion and subsequent maintenance). Now
>the manager in charge of the machines wants a report on why FreeBSD was
>chosen instead of Linux. Sigh.
>
>So what good reasons translated into Manager-ese can I present?
>
>Thanks,
>
>David Johnson

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-advocacy" in the body of the message

You state 'to expensive' and 'difficult to maintain', now could you
produce some
statistics?  What I mean is how many 'lost' hours over maintaining them,
and how
much total is 'expensive'.  Now use them in a report proving that
FreeBSD will
save money due to labor hours which can be used better elsewhere.

Least, that is what I would do ;)

--
Tom Rhodes