Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 12:55:04 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Rolf Schillinger <rolf@sir-wum.de>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Infinite 'make' loops while building ports

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 02:33:56AM -0700, Shizuka Kudo wrote:
> >
> > It seems /usr/bin/make set the environment variable
> > MAKEFILE to the Makefile it uses. So when you type
> > make build or install, MAKEFILE is pointed to the
> > port's Makefile. Workaround for me at this moment is
> > to run "make build MAKEFILE=Makefile" so that
> > bsd.ports.mk use the correct Makefile in WRKSRC.
> >
> > Is the behaviour in /usr/bin/make changed recently?
>
> No. This is old behaviour and I filed a PR for it many moons ago.
> I have replaced all uses of MAKEFILE with MAKE_FILE in all the
> makefiles that set it (and changed bsd.ports.mk as well of course)
> The problem is more visible if you set WRKDIROREFIX.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=3CDC0724.C9ACC64C_FreeBSD.org%40ns.sol.net&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dfreebsd%2Binfinite%2Bmake%2Bloop%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3D3CDC0724.C9ACC64C_FreeBSD.org%2540ns.sol.net%26rnum%3D4
says that this is a problem in textproc/expat2 and indeed if I remove the
Makefile there and do a make clean in /usr/ports it chews through the
ports with the occasional error when it hits an expat dependency.
Above thread states that this should be fixed by expat2 Makefile
rev. 1.14. That Makefile however doesn't get updated on cvsup. If I delete
it no version of it gets checked out. My Makefile is rev. 1.13
bis bald, Rolf