Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:37:18 -0800
From:      "DINKEY,GENE (HP-Loveland,ex1)" <gene_dinkey@hp.com>
To:        "'Otter'" <otterr@telocity.com>, "DINKEY,GENE (HP-Loveland,ex1)" <gene_dinkey@hp.com>, "'Jeremy Vandenhouten'" <jeremy.vandenhouten@marquette.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: RE: bridging/Nat problems

> }to be for local stuff as it is.  I also used to connect to a
> }shoutcast
> }stream and found that natd really fuxored that up if you
> }don't specificaly
> }tell it to redirect the ports above.
> }
>
> Gene,
> How does it "really fuxored that up"? I listen to outside shoutcast
> feeds all the time behind my gateway (runing ipfw+natd). Are you
> serving the stream or connecting to another? I understood it to be
> connecting to another. No problems here that I'm aware of, unless it's
> something that I'm missing. Also, I'm using 192.168.1.x private ips,
> but I wouldn't think that would affect the way natd works.
> -Otter

Sorry, I suppose I should have been a little more clear on that one.  I was
serving the stream to another server which was responsible for actually
handling the broadcast traffick (I think they call it a relay server or
something in the shoutcast manuals).  But all I had to do was run the DSP
plugin with Winamp and connect to the relay server so I could stream out.

I found what would happen without the port redirects was that people could
connect, it would buffer up to about 75% then the connection would hang.
When the person would disconnect from the stream the server would not
properly close the socket.

The reason for it was the data stream is sent out via port 8000 (at least in
this case it was), the shoutcast server sends statistic data back on
$DATA_PORT+1 (or in my case port 8001).  Since the Shoutcast server was
unable to send or receive data properly on this port it was messing things
up.

Hope this clears up a bit, you won't need any redirects just to listen to a
Shoutcast stream, but if you want to use the DSP plugin in Winamp to stream
data to a relay server from behind a natd firewall you will need to add the
redirects.