Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 14:35:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        smpatel@wam.umd.edu (Sujal Patel)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, kashmir@umiacs.umd.edu
Subject:   Re: PnP Proposal, Ideas & Issues [Was: PnP problem...]

> So the first goal was to be able to specify certain resources that a PnP
> card should use:
>
> I was hoping that we could strive for something along of the lines of:
> device          sio2    at isa? pnp "SUP1310" port "IO_COM3" tty irq 15 vector siointr
>
> This would be nice and simple-- Say that PnP device "SUP1310" is handled
> by driver sio2 and configure the card and the driver for port 0x3e8 and
> irq 15.  But unfortunately, the solution is not going to nearly this
> simple.  Cards like the GUS PnP and other multi-function cards cannot be
> configured like this at all.

This is probably a bad approach.  The idea of PnP is that the devices
will fit into an unused space.  This is a difficult (and potentially
insoluable without a hack job) problem for non-PnP ISA devices in a
standard ISA bus, since if you can't probe them, you can't predict
what the conflicts would be.

> I'm sure that we're gonna always need some kind of manual configuration
> of PnP devices (for those really though cards like the GUS).  The
> majority of PnP cards should be very simple to configure (and could
> be done automatically at boot-time).  The problem is that it seems VERY
> difficult to determine exactly what resources are going to be used when
> the system is booting.

I think you'd need manual configuration of unprobeable hardware to set
up the intersects for it.  Other than that, I don't think you *really*
have to manually config the cards.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---