Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2000 15:26:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Viren R.Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        Sven Reimers <reimers@tu-harburg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org, Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Subject:   Re: font problems with displaying Java Swing on FreeBSD

>>>>> "Sven" == Sven Reimers <reimers@tu-harburg.de> writes:

 Sven> Get the URW-fonts (e.g gimp.org)
 Sven> Sven

I did get and install them. Unfortunately I still have the same
problem. I'm running XFree86 3.3.5 -- could this be a problem?
[I also looked at blackdown.org, which suggests the same thing]

I also tried installing gsfonts-5.10, and manually editing the
fonts.scale file to change the zapfchancery font spec to conform to
what the solaris JDK wanted -- this stopped the eoor messages below,
but I still get the same exception. Any ideas?

 Sven> "Viren R.Shah" wrote:

 >> [This is only tangentially related to FreeBSD Java, but it seemed like
 >> the best forum for it]
 >>
 >> I'm trying to display a Java 1.2.2/Swing application from a Solaris
 >> 2.7 box onto a FreeBSD -current machine. It won't display, citing the
 >> following error messages:
 >>
 >> Font specified in font.properties not found [-urw-itc zapfdingbats-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-sun-fontspecific]
...[deleted lots more of the same]
 >> Font specified in font.properties not found [-urw-itc zapfdingbats-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-sun-fontspecific]
 >> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
 >> at java.util.Hashtable.get(Hashtable.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.UIDefaults.get(UIDefaults.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.MultiUIDefaults.get(MultiUIDefaults.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getUIClass(UIDefaults.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getUI(UIDefaults.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.UIManager.getUI(UIManager.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.JPanel.updateUI(JPanel.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(JPanel.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(JPanel.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.JRootPane.createGlassPane(JRootPane.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.JRootPane.<init>(JRootPane.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.JFrame.createRootPane(JFrame.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.JFrame.frameInit(JFrame.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java, Compiled Code)
 >> at SwingApplication.main(SwingApplication.java, Compiled Code)
 >>
 >> I tried the same thing on an NT box with X-Win32, and while it gave
 >> the same erros, it did display. Also the application displayed on the
 >> console of the solaris box. This is one of the standard exampels in
 >> the Swing tutorial.
 >> http://web2.java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/start/example-swing/SwingApplication.java
 >>
 >> Does anyone have a solution for this. I use FreeBSD for my desktop,
 >> and this makes it very difficult to write a java/swing app.
 >>
 >> Thanks
 >> Viren

Thanks
Viren
--
Viren R. Shah  {viren @ rstcorp . com}
Names        : Vanadium(23) Iodine(53) RhEnium(75) Nitrogen(7)