Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 00:47:41 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
Cc:        config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Config Databases

> Now our portal process is expected to parse the buffer and put the
> result in our configuration database.  Fortunately, the portal
> process in question was implemented very well and the login shell
> omission is noticed.
>
> Now what?  What is the portal file system supposed to do with this?

Silently refuse the operation.  Bob would be able to save the
passwd file, but when he looked at it again he'd see it was as
if he'd never touched it.

Confusing?  Sure, at least until people get the idea, but I think it's
the only paradigm which makes sense.  Your /etc is made of rubber -
you hit it in the wrong place and it simply bounces back like nothing
ever happened. :)

					Jordan