Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:35:43 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and vmware

Erik Norgaard wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a dual boot Windows/FreeBSD which I use for work, I just tried
> today to create a virtual machine with vmware on windows to start up the
> installed FreeBSD.

This is possible, I've run such a setup for a long time. But you don't
say which versions of the products you are using.

> This works except for three problems:
>
> - The disk device is renamed, I suppose I can just dublicate the entries
> in the fstab, the devices not found won't be mounted, I'll get an error
> but problem solved?

As others said, use glabel or UFS labels (tunefs -L).

> - I can't see the network devices from vmware

You can configure both cards (the real and the emulated one) in
/etc/rc.conf and the one that's active will be used on boot.

> - I can't start xwindows, no monitor is found

You can either use VESA or the VMWare specific driver for the virtual
machine. Look into /usr/ports/x11-drivers. You will need to keep two
configurations (xorg.conf) - one for the "real" and one for the emulated
video card, and manually switch them.

You don't specifically need it but you can also look at
/usr/ports/emulators/open-vm-tools.