Date:      Thu,  4 Feb 1999 11:46:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      eddy@isi.edu
To:        Ron Echeverri <rone@B1FF.nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Cdrom problems

my appoligies in advance for murking up this list with other than
technical contect.

Ron Echeverri states:
> Mike O'Dell writes:
>   you need to learn to be nice to your customers.
>
> This is not customer service.  This is the freebsd-stable mailing list.
>
>   when you labelled it STABLE you set people's expectations
>   and how when you fail to meet them you blame the user??
>
> Funny, when i saw the "stable" label i thought it was going to be an
> operating systems with horsies and stuff.  My expectations sure have
> not been met.  I demand a refund.

oh man, this is ridiculous.  keep in mind this is not freebsd-hackers.
Mike has a good point, this is indeed *indirectly* a customer support
mail list (where the customers happen to be the support, much of the
time).  from my perspective, the way for freebsd to continue will be
to continue to gain some form of popularity, with decreasing revenues
due to slowing cd sales, etc.  this would appear to be even more
important.  in turn increasing demand that somehow translates into $$$
for the freebsd development team.

that user base will almost certainly be made up of those of us
that don't have the genetic make-up, will power and/or access to
cryptonyte (see i can't even spell), than the authors and others on
this list do.  i've been around long enough (installed 386BSD the
first day it was made availabe), that i could, if i had the desire,
get most things within reason to work, yet these days i don't.  The
freebsd team has done such an excellent job that installs now are a no
brainer, and i like it like that.  this is why i'll wait for 3.1
before upgrading my development machines.  it's nice to be able to
goto '-RELEASE' and be resonably confident that things will work with
little extra effort.

of course we the user community must be greatful for the free goods
and service we are recieving for free and tolerant of imperfection.
Yet we should not fear being fried to a crispy when we have a
question/problem however un-enlightended it may be.  so let us all
just take a deep breath and consider quietly how to make this a kinder
gentler world where freedom of computing is a way of life.
please try to be kind to those of us less fortunante beings lacking
enlightment, but would love to live in a free world also ;-).

appoligies once again,  but i felt compelled to speak.

- rusty