Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 20:00:50 +1000 (EST)
From:      Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   high resolution text modes

Success!

I'm now running on a 100x30(16x9 font) 88hz modified FreeBSD syscons.c.
I still have some issues to address vis automatically changing between
resolutions on different VT's. Some video cards clocks require
programming in particular ways. It would be nice if one could do a
"register dump" of the current mode and save it in an array and later
restore the values when the VT is again made active. I am not hopeful
given the hardware dependent manner that many dot clocks are programmed
in and the use of register extension portals. I suspect that any
solution would approach the code size of SVGATextMode itself.  My
intention is to remove per-vt resolutions entirely. They seem like
creeping featurism to me and of little use - I noted a comment in the
linux kernel code stating that the linux per-vt resolutions which were
removed for similar reasons.

Obtip: watch out for outb(x,y) in linux code. The XFREE/BSD world
uses outb (y,x). Boy did I have fun with this one.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons