Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:06:38 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>, glewis@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Issues with portmaster

Alex Dupre wrote:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> Firstly, I have jdk-1.5.0.14p8,1 installed and this needs updating.
>> portmaster has decided that doing so requires java/diablo-jdk15 to be
>> installed - which is wrong because I already have a suitable jdk
>> installed.
>
> You are right, but the port has the following line:
>
> BUILD_DEPENDS+= ${BOOTSTRAPJDKDIR}/bin/javac:${PORTSDIR}/java/diablo-jdk15
>
> So, even if it correctly find the installed
> /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/bin/javac binary, it adds the diablo dependency.
> Portmaster checks all the dependencies, even if the binary file exists,
> and so try to install the diablo jdk. All java ports should be fixed
> regarding this issue.

Portmaster uses CONFLICTS to avoid this issue. This isn't the first time
I've heard this complaint about the java ports. I'm wondering if glewis
could shed some light on why they don't have proper CONFLICTS set.

Meanwhile, the only other alternative is for portmaster to essentially
adopt the same functionality as the ports infrastructure itself in order
to handle these kinds of dependency issues. That's a step I'd really
like to avoid since my goal has always been to make portmaster a sort of
"wrapper" that ties together existing ports functionality rather than
replacing it. And of course there is the obvious objection to doing this
that it would make the script a lot more complicated.

For the most part, relying on CONFLICTS has worked well to solve this
problem, I'm hoping it will continue to be a reliable solution.

Finally, I'm glad to hear that overall your experience has been
favorable Peter. :)

Doug