Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 03:14:50 +0200
From:      "Thomas Mittelstaedt" <Thomas.Mittelstaedt@munich.netsurf.de>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Ishkhan Martirosyan <ishkhan@mbox.amilink.net>
Subject:   Re: ld-elf.so.1

Dear Sir,

Ishkhan Martirosyan wrote:

> Dear sirs,
>
> Not long ago I've installed jdk1.1.7 and there is a problem that I can't
> solve.
>
> The fact is that, when I use the following command "install -c -s -o bin
> -g bin -m 555 -C -fschg ld-elf.so.1 /usr/libexec" to install ld-elf.so.1
> it always fails. I get "strip: /usr/libexec/INS@XXXX: Inappropriate file
> type or format" message.
>
> What you suggest to do???
> I'm running FreeBSD 3.0-971208-SNAP.

>>Try running the most recent released version, JDK1.1.8

And I would also suggest to you upgrading to a more recent version of the
FreeBSD3 STABLE branch.
Up until a while ago I also ran a snapshot of 3.0 from back in August '97 (and
was very happy with it, by the way).
FreeBSD3.1-STABLE snapshot 12th April 99 works quite well for me now with
regard to Java and had only one crash of the OS since upgrading.

	thomas_|\/|