Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:04:41 +0200
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mbuf layout optimizations

--Sig_/42IcyFKkrA9d4YuzX2/mHDx

Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de> wrote:

> Jeff Roberson <jroberson@jroberson.net> wrote:
>=20
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~jeff/mbuf2.diff
>=20
> > This is a call for testers and feedback on my mbuf layout
> > improvements. I'm trying to decide whether I will push to have these
> > included in 8.0. After reducing the scope slightly from my last patch,
> > I have not encountered any problems.  Kip Macy has also been using it
> > for the past few weeks without issue.
> >=20
> > You should not expect any functional changes from this patch.  The
> > goal is mostly to pave the way fors more sensible mbuf handling in the
> > future, although it does offer a few performance benefits.
>=20
> So far I haven't been able to reproduce the em-related panic I
> reported with an earlier version of the patch. I'm not sure if
> it was reproducible back then, though.

By now I experienced three system freezes with Xorg running
(thus no backtrace, I'm afraid). One of them occurred directly
after opening a new connection through the browser.

All three freezes happened with em0 down and unconnected,
iwi0 in use and with Tor and a background ping running.

I run cvsup before applying the patch, so this may be an
unrelated problem that crept in with the update. I'm currently
compiling the kernel with vanilla CURRENT from 2009-06-21 to
see if the freezes go away.

Fabian