Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 08:41:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: developing device drivers

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I'd really like to write drivers (for ISA cards) as LKM modules, but so
> > far i don't know how to assign 1) the IRQ, 2) the iobase and 3) the membase
> > ( and perhaps flags and spl) to the LKM at module load time.
> >
> > Did i miss something ?
>
> You probe and attach at load time, normally.  This means you detect the
> IRQ/DRQ/IOBase/MemBase/Etc., not assign it.

I don't quite understand, sorry.

Given an ISA card, supporting IRQ's 3..15, i/o 0x100...0x300 and mem 0xa0000
...0dffff.

What i was looking for in the first place was something like

to specify the same parameters i'd have to specify in the kernel config file.

When i probe at load time, i try to detect the card in question, but where
shall i start to search without knowing _where_ to search (iobase/membase)
(other than searching through the whole supported iobase/membase) ?

Given i found the card to be the one i looked for, which of the IRQ/iobase/mem
supports shall i use in the attach ? How is the user to be able to specify the
parameters he prefers ?

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
  A duck is like a bicycle because they both have two wheels except the duck