Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 08:57:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Dmitry Karasik <dk@plab.ku.dk>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NGROUPS_MAX in sys/syslimits.h

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Mike Meyer wrote:

> >  Mike> Which begs the question - why do you need so many groups? There may
> >  Mike> be a better solution to the problem that's causing that than kernel
> >  Mike> groups.
> >
> > 21 is not many - but of course, it depends what are you conting :)
> > Our current configuration is that every user possesses a group
> > with same name.
>
> You're right - 21 isn't many. But that number will change every time
> you add a user, and your solution to the problem doesn't scale well.

I never understood the reasoning behind each user having their own
group (with their login name).  Does anyone use this to their
advantage?  A huge "user" or "users" group that each user belongs to
was always the way to go for me.

Perhaps it just too early in the morning for me to see it...
coffee....

-Paul.