Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:16:58 -0500
From:      John Lengeling <johnl@raccoon.com>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELL servers and FreeBSD

I wish the other respondants were more accurate with their answers...
FreeBSD will run the Dell PowerEdges, but...

Here is my experience with PowerEdge 1300s.

1. Need at least FreeBSD 3.X to get support for the Adaptec onboard SCSI
controller. AIC 7890.   6350s have the same onboard controller.

2. FreeBSD does not support the RAID controller that Dell sells.  The
PERC2 RAID controller.

3. I couldn't get the Sony CDROM drive to work under FreeBSD 3.1.  I
haven't tried it under 3.2.  Most people just installed some other CDROM
drive to get around the problem.