Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 16:08:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        anthony@freebie.atkielski.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modifying only certain bits with chmod

> Am I missing something, or is there no way to set or reset only certain
> permission bits--while leaving the others unchanged--using chmod with the
> octal permissions field?  If chmod doesn't allow this, is there any other
> similar command that does?
>
> Essentially what I was thinking of was, say, clearing a write bit on the
> permissions of a group of files without changing any of the other bits (which
> may not be the same for each file).  The symbolic form of the chmod command
is
> awkward (at least for me).

Hi Anthony,

quick googeling with "tutorial chmod" showed the following:

http://catcode.com/teachmod/
especially:
http://catcode.com/teachmod/shortcuts.html

In short: You type "cd /path/to/where/the/files/are", then "chmod g-w
yourfilehere".

You have the relative modes o (owner), g (group) and  a (all). For that you can
+ (add), - ("substract") or = (equal) the rights without touching the other
access flags.

And you can do the absolut setting for chmod with octal numbers.

Possible expressions are:

chmod og-wx *
chmod 400 *

Hope that helps