Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 23:14:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        hamish@debian.org (Hamish Moffatt)
Cc:        maxx@yuc.sch.bme.hu, kline@thought.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, publisher@laptop.ompages.com, debian-devel@lists.debian.org, recipient@debian.org, list@debian.org, not@debian.org, shown: @debian.org, ;;, @debian.org
Subject:   Re: FreeLinux (Debian/GNU BSD)

According to Hamish Moffatt:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 05:38:38AM +0200, Horvath Akos Peter wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Gary Kline wrote:
> > > 	If the Debian effort were to roll in additions like the
> > > 	STREAMS clone code (plus) hacked in the myriad drivers
> > > 	that Linux has (hmm, good and bad, really)---Nate, if this
> > > 	Debian|BSD concept was this, then you might be able to
> > > 	put together a Core team.
> > > 	Simply: a lotta work...
> >
> > I think, porting glibc to *BSD were a solution to this problem. Earlier
> > versions of glibc worked on *BSD.
>
> Can we get a mailing list going on this topic?

	Is a separate list really necessary?  Until there are at
	least dozens hard-core committed and there is a real
	Core group form, all you'd have is yet-anoter-mailinglist.

	As I see it--and it's been 15 years since I did any serious
	kernel hacking--the main effort would be adding the GNU|Linux
	extra-kernel code to the FreeBSD kernel.  How many hacker-
	years' effort this is, I don't know.

	Is it worth the effort?  Dunno; how many folks are willing
	to commit to some N 90-hour weeks?

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix