Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:20:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org, security-officer@freebsd.org, asmodai@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bind: FreeBSD-SA-01:10 and CERT Advisory CA-2001-02

> To the security officers:  http://www.freebsd.org/security/#adv does not
> show any advisories on bind, except the one mentioned above. Will there
> be any advisory addressing the problem mentioned by the CERT advisory in
> regards to the older versions of FreeBSD (and BIND packaged with them)?

I won't attempt to address the other issues in your e-mail, leaving them
to Kris, as I'm not familiar with them, but I can address the concern of
the most recent BIND8 vulnerabilities.

We were made aware of the CERT advisory before its release, but were
waiting for the new 8.2.3 release to be made before importing it into the
tree (the final pre-release did not include the fix, although that's what
is in -STABLE I believe).  The release has now been made, and 8.2.3 has
been imported into the FreeBSD contrib tree.  5.0-CURRENT now uses 8.2.3
by default as of last night or this morning, and as soon as the testing is
done on 4.2-STABLE, it will be enabled there also.

The BIND8 maintainer for FreeBSD has assured me that the integration into
-STABLE will be done sometime this evening, meaning we can push out an
advisory in the next day or so (once testing is done, etc).  Given that
the maintainer has also been working on the RELENG_3 branch, I would
imagine that the fix will also be made on that branch.  I do not know what
the plans are with regards to RELENG_2.  I will talk to the maintainer
about what is involved to assemble appropriate instructions to upgrade
release machines as opposed to -STABLE branch machines.  As this is a
sizable update (import of an entire version of BIND), those instructions
may be non-trivial in length.  It may be that we want to assemble a
tarball of the updated files to drop on a 4.2-RELEASE src/ tree.